The tranquil idyllic village of Roslin lies seven miles south of Edinburgh City Centre. Located in a quiet established residential area, Manse Road is a short drive from Edinburgh City Bypass. The Bypass gives access to major road networks, Edinburgh Airport and the Forth Road Bridge.
The village of Roslin has a strong community atmosphere with excellent local amenities including a range of shopping facilities, post office, library, doctor, dental surgery and a local family run traditional Scottish inn – The Original Rosslyn Hotel.
Close by, Straiton Retail Park houses a wider range of shopping including ASDA, Sainsbury’s, IKEA, Costco and Marks and Spencer. An excellent bus service provides ample opportunity to venture further afield – with direct links to Edinburgh and surrounding area.
Local leisure facilities within the village include a bowling green, reputable hotel and restaurant as well as fabulous walks through Roslin Glen and the nearby Pentland Hills.
Roslin (or Rosslyn) is steeped in ancient history . . .
The Battle of Roslin in 1303 – one of the Scottish Wars of Independence – where a small Scottish army outnumbered by a larger English army used their local knowledge of the physical geographical landscape of Roslin Glen and the surrounding area as the main weapon in their armoury and combined with their tenacity and courage won the battle. Roslin Castle was built near the site of the Battle of Roslin in the 1330’s and was continuously developed over the following 3 centuries. Today the Castle lies mostly in ruin. Legend has it that it is haunted by a ‘black knight on horseback and a phantom hound’. Rosslyn Chapel was built between 1446 and 1484. The Chapel stands on fourteen pillars and is described as an Architectural Wonder.
Myths, legends and more recently Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code give the Chapel a sense of mystery and atmosphere. A more recent claim to fame is Dolly the sheep. Dolly was the world’s first cloned sheep created at the Roslin Institute in 1997.
The Cottages are situated less than half a mile from both Roslin Castle and Rosslyn Chapel.